I’m sharing today’s podcast 2 weeks ahead of schedule. Why? Tomorrow is April 1st and I we need the entire month for this challenge. Before I knew April was financial awareness month I knew our spending habits would be an important topic to focus on. The fact that this month’s challenge falls during financial awareness month makes it that much sweeter. Let’s #make1change in our spending.
For this month’s podcast I couldn’t think of a more compassionate and competent person to talk to about finances than my closest friend and rockstar budget coach, Ericka Young. Ericka left a well paying engineering position over a decade ago to pursue her passion of helping families reach their financial goals. She’s still going strong!
We use the ‘b’ word a lot in today’s episode… you know the one… budget. Budget??!! Before you click away, trust me! This show is going to change you’re mind about what it means to live on a budget.
Ericka is Dave Ramsey certified budget coach. She and her husband Chris spent the first five years of their marriage paying off nearly $100,000 in debt. She uses the same principles she learned nearly 16 years ago to help her clients today.
Ericka shared so much great insight that I made this a 2 part series. Today, you’ll hear part 1. We will share part 2 on Thurs, 4/7.
Here’s part 1 of Pay Now or Pay Later:
In this episode Ericka shares:
- How looking for areas of overspending in our budgets helps us free up money for taking better care of our bodies.
- How preventative maintenance keeps us from “breaking” the budget.
- The importance of talking with a health care professional(s) to maximum the money we’ve designated for preventative maintenance options (ie. supplements, working out, losing weight).
- Her #1 strategy for meeting any goal. She even tells a story of how using this strategy had the added benefit of helping a client lose 30 lbs.
- The connection between mindless spending and mindless eating.
The #Make1Change Money Challenge begins Mon, 4/4. The full details of the challenge will be on the blog on Monday, 4/4. It’s a simple weekly challenge around your spending habits and it will be easy to participate. Join the challenge!
Listen to today’s podcast and share one principle that stood out to you in the comments.