After 20 years of friendship and 13 years of marriage, LaSandra Hutchinson experienced the sudden loss of her husband in October 2017. At the time, her children were 11, 10, 8, and 6 years old. Eager to learn all she could about grief and to rebuild a powerful life for her and her children, LaSandra began researching grief and sharing her new understanding, her faith, and her grief journey on YouTube, through public speaking, and through writing. She wanted to give a transparent look into grief in a way that resonated with others and that brought hope. Through these steps, Grace & Grief was born. Grace and Grief is an initiative that provides support, community, and inspiration to help others grow through grief and live boldly after loss.
This is part 2 of a 2 part conversation. In part 2 LaSandra answers listeners’ questions.
Some questions addressed in this episode:
- How do you support a family member who chooses to sit in their grief?
- Is there an acceptable time frame for the grieving process?
- How does a grieving person keep the negative energy from consuming him/her?
- Practical ways to support a person who is grieving.
- What is your perspective on responses to grief that include Christian/religious references? For instance, “I hope they were saved.” “Rejoice, you know you will see them again.”
- The role of counseling in the grief and healing process
- How children process grief and loss
- How holidays are impacted by loss
Keep up with LaSandra:
Words to Remember…
“Everything helps! The gift of your presence means something… Anything they don’t have to figure out…You’re so low, so everything helps. ” – LaSandra Hutchinson
“Grief is like a big coat. You don’t get over it. You grow into it.” -LaSandra Hutchinson
The STRONG Womanhood Growth Journal: Activate the Courage to Live Out Your Calling is a self directed guide for women who want to be active participants in their personal transformation and are looking for a process to mentor them through it. And it’s finally here!
Get it at Amazon: BUY THE BOOK
Amazon Book Review: “I highly recommend this journal. I discovered actionable steps to take on my next journey into becoming more consistent with reaching my goals. The messages shared by Kendra are full of wisdom and timeless. The thought provoking questions will assist you in transforming into a confident and courageous woman.”
Subscribe to the #WorkYourPlan Podcast and published episodes will come right to the podcast app on your phone and/or join our email list for email reminders of when a new episode is ready.
If you enjoyed the show, please subscribe, rate it on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Spotify with a short review.
Connect with Kendra personally @kendratillman or @strongherme on Instagram.
Ask a question on the podcast episode at strongher.me or by emailing email@example.com.